.

♂ Raw Nuts (Cashew Almond Walnut Peanut Brazil) - Where To Buy?


Many readers wrote to me and asked where I usually get raw cashews, almonds, walnuts and other types of nuts in Singapore, here is what you ask for. I got most of my non-organic nuts from Mustafa Center, I realised it is much cheaper compared to those from provisional shop and even Pasir Panjang Wholesale CenterUncle Cook's is the in-house brands of Mustafa and the nuts are mainly from USA and Brazil.

Nuts are great whole food that provide numerous beneficial health qualities, it is high in protein, fibre and good fats for lowering bad cholesterol, reducing inflammation and good for the heart.

I always stock up 1kg of each type of nuts in my store. I used these nuts substantially in my vegan baking and cooking, or simply roast it to make a prefect healthy movie snack, simply endless use of these nuts! Refer below where I elaborate more about my usage for each type of nuts.

Storage tips: Everyone knows this theory that the bigger the quantity you buy, the more the value for money, but make sure you know the proper way to store these goodies. Nuts have a high oil content and this leads to a quick break down when left at room temperature, and they spoil more quickly in warmer climates like Singapore. Nuts are good at room temperature for about one week when opened but they need to be sealed airtight and refrigerated to maintain freshness.  It is difficult to detect if the nuts are gone bad, however some tell-tale signs are they are soft when chewed or the taste may change altogether. To refresh them again, just toast them for a few minutes in Airfryer or oven, click here for the steps.



Uncle Cook's: California Almonds
I usually substitute macadamia, hazelnuts with almond in baking because it is more affordable in Asia, and because it has a really awesome nutty fragrance.

Where to buy?
☼ Almond Nuts
Product of USA

SGD18.80 for 1kg.
Also available in size of 250g and 500g.
Available at Mustafa Center, Singapore.


Uncle Cook's: King of Cashew
I never know cashew nuts can used in so many ways in vegan cooking and baking until I started to have my own kitchen. Cashew are the most widely used nuts in my pantry. I used it for making vegan cream cheese, non-bake cheesecakes and some other vegan baking, and making Vegan Tuna that tastes better than real tuna. I also use it in soup recipes to replace diary milk.

Where to buy?
☼ Cashew Nuts
Product of Brazil

SGD11.90 for 1kg.
Also available in size of 250g and 500g. 
Available at Mustafa Center, Singapore.
 



Uncle Cook's: California Walnuts
Apart from pine nuts, walnut is one of those that are more expensive especially in Asia. Usually I only use in baking recipes that call specifically for walnuts e.g. vegan carrot walnut cake which cannot be replaced with almond.

Where to buy?
☼ Walnuts
Product of USA
SGD12.40 for 500g.
SGD23.90 for 1kg.
Also available in size of 250g.
Available at Mustafa Center, Singapore.
 
There are also many other types of nuts available at Mustafa Center:
  • Peanut - SGD2.20 for 500g
  • Hazelnut- SGD13.50 for 500g
  • Brazil nut - SGD10.90 for 500g
  • Pine nut
  • Pecan - SGD17.90 for 500g
  • Pistachios - SGD19.90 for 1kg
  • .. and you name it, they have it!
* Information and prices stated are correct as of August 2014.
    ☆ Click here to see what other products I regularly get from Mustafa Center.

    http://veggietemptation.blogspot.sg/search/label/Where%20To%20Buy%20This%3F
    Learning a new cuisine is actually not that challenging, it is the process of understanding & finding the ingredients in your area which is tedious and time-consuming. Thus, I am most willing to share with readers (Singapore, Malaysia and international) where I get the most value-for-money ingredients that are slightly uncommon. See more of the great, affordable & healthy stuff I am always get.
     

    6 comments:

    1. Thanks for sharing this info. I especially love your "where to buy" posts.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You are most welcome, it is my pleasure. Glad these are of help to you ;)

        Delete
    2. Anonymous21 July, 2015

      They discontinued the Brazilian cashews n increased the price of the USA almonds to $18.80..I have emailed Mustapha...really disappointed

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. OMG, I will check it out the next time I go. Thanks for informing!

        Delete
      2. are the cashews still sold at mustafa?

        Delete
      3. I still see it around recently but no sure if it is big version (labelled King of Cashew).

        Delete