.

♂ Fresh/Trim Coconut Milk - Where To Buy?


Ayam Brand - UHT Trim Coconut Milk
No doubts that fresh coconut milk is the best but I do not have the patience to DIY, neither will I make an effort to go the wet market to get this. The fish and meat smell at the market gives me fainting spell, I still prefer shopping at supermarket.
 
Now, here is the healthier trim version of coconut milk that is free from preservatives! How do they achieve this? It is processed from the flesh of fresh, ripe coconuts within two days from harvest, capturing their superior taste and rich texture, and contains 45% less fat compared to raw coconut milk, and yet still retains its full taste of coconut milk. This means that we can now make dishes with coconut milk in a healthier way without losing any taste! I stock up on this in my pantry because it is cheaper and has lesser fat, less guilty to use this in my Laksa and dessert recipes.

Where to buy?
SGD0.90 for 200ml.
Available at NTUC & Seng Siong Supermarket, Singapore.
They have promotion often at supermarkets at 2 for SGD1.35 every few months. I always stock up like mad during this time, LOL. Best Buy!


Heng Guan - Pasteurized Fresh Coconut Milk
Alternative, you may go for this brand of pasteurized Fresh Coconut Milk that is made from fresh matured coconuts that is freshly squeezed and pasteurized to retain the optimum natural goodness. It is also free from additives or preservatives. Take note that the shelf life of this pasteurized milk is only 7 days in fridge but I have a small trick, I placed it in the freezer and stay fresh to a month! 

Where to buy?
SGD1.90 for 500gm. 
Available at major supermarkets & wet markets.

How is UHT milk different from pasteurized fresh milk?
UHT milk is pasteurized and passed through ultra heat treatment to kill all bacteria in order to attain a shelf-life of 18 months. Once opened, product must be keep in refrigeration for max 3 days to maintain the goodness. Product is unsweetened and without any additives or preservatives. Stabilizers are added to allow the binding of the fat and water. I placed this in the freezer too, can keep for about one month, no wastage!

Comparison Between Coconut Milk vs Soy Milk
Although the saturated fat in coconut is MCT (Medium Chain Fatty Acid) which is easier to metabolize, it is still healthier to eat in moderation. So I replace half of it with soy milk in my Laksa recipe. Here is the comparison of Coconut Milk vs Soy Milk.



http://veggietemptation.blogspot.sg/search/label/Where%20To%20Buy%20This%3F
Learning a new cuisine is actually not that challenging, it is the process of understanding & finding the ingredients in your area which is tedious and time-consuming. Thus, I am most willing to share with readers (Singapore, Malaysia and international) where I get the most value-for-money ingredients that are slightly uncommon. See more of the great, affordable & healthy stuff I am always get.


No comments:

Post a Comment