.

♂ Applesauce (For Baking) - Where to buy?

I was trying so hard to skip this applesauce ingredient because I do not wish to stock up too many ingredients for my baking interests. But applesauce seems to be difficult to skip because it is very commonly used in vegan baking to act like the fat to keep the flour protein to mix completely with the wet ingredients and forming a rubbery texture. Slowly, I have fall in love with it! For some vegan baking recipes, I can totally use applesauce to replace butter or oil, how great is that?! I used this mostly in baking muffins, cakes and brownies, do check out my recipes!
 
If you do not bake often, why not consider making your own applesauce in smaller quantity? Look quite simple, I will try it when my bottle of applesauce runs out [smile]. 
 
Applesauce is indeed an ingredient that is more common in the West and for vegan baking, it is so uncommon in Singapore that even Phoon Huat does not carry it. Thus it took me some time to find this Seneca brand (read more about this product) at some outlets of Cold Storage. I think the price for this applesauce is quite reasonable, taking into consideration that only a few tablespoon of applesauce is required in one baking.  Alternatively, you can use mashed over-ripe bananas instead, but take note that you might get that taste of banana in your baking, well that is actually not a very good idea.

Seneca Brand - No Sugar Added Apple Sauce

 
 
Where to buy?
Made in USA.
Weight: 666g  
☼ SGD3.90 (Equivalent to SGD2.90 for 500g)
Available at Cold Storage.
Seen at Novena Square outlet.

SGD3.30 (Equivalent to SGD2.50 for 500g) Best Buy!
Available at NTUC.
Location: Various in Singapore.
Seen at Toa Payoh outlet.
 

S&W Brand - 100% Gravenstein Applesauce



Before I found the above Seneca brand which is cheaper, I use S&W brand  which I found at Sunlik Trading, but this location is not exactly very convenient and there is only one store on this island. Surprisingly this shop is actually quite a simple old shop, a far cry from their well-done website. It is also not as well-stocked as Phoon Huat, and the stuff are more expensive, but they do carry more quality chocolate.

However, I an not in favour that this brand because of the added sugar and corn syrup.
 
Where to buy?
SGD4.20 for 500gm.
Made in USA.
Available at Sunlik Trading Pte Ltd.
Location: Bugis, Singapore.


☼ SGD5.55 at Cold Storage.
Seen at Novena Square outlet.

 http://veggietemptation.blogspot.sg/search/label/Where%20To%20Buy%20This%3F
Learning a new cuisine is actually not that challenging, it is the process of understanding & finding the ingredients in your area which is tedious and time-consuming. Thus, I am most willing to share with readers (Singapore, Malaysia and international) where I get the most value-for-money ingredients that are slightly uncommon. See more of the great, affordable & healthy stuff I am always get.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment